Expert Picks Provided by: Jerod Kieler
On Twitter: @Jkieler1010
Jason Day continued his amazing run by dominating last week’s BMW Championship. Day’s fourth victory in his past six starts has moved him into the top spot in the world golf rankings. This week, Day and 29 others will make their way to East Lake Golf Club in Atlanta, Georgia for the TOUR Championship. The top five in the FedEx Cup Standings control their own destiny and with a win, will take home the coveted $10 million prize. The top-5 heading into the season’s final event are Jason Day, Jordan Spieth, Rickie Fowler, Henrik Stenson, and Bubba Watson. Last year’s winner and FedEx Cup champion, Billy Horschel, did not make it back to defend his title.
With only one week left, Tony’s Tigers has a commanding lead in Tour Council’s fantasy golf challenge. Like last week, I am going to try and take a few off the radar picks in hopes of catching the leader. I want to thank everyone for playing this year and we hope to see you all back again next year.
1) Dustin Johnson (4): DJ has top-10 finishes in three of his past four starts. Last week at the BMW Championship, Johnson finished in a share of 7th. Johnson tied for 10th at East Lake GC in 2012 and finished solo 5th in 2013.
2) JB Holmes (1): My top four this week are Jason Day, Rory McIlroy, Dustin Johnson, and Henrik Stenson. However, I am taking Holmes in hopes of catching lightning in a bottle. Last week at the BMW Championship, Holmes shared 4th with Rory McIlroy and Rickie Fowler. Surprisingly, this will be Holmes first career trip to East Lake and the TOUR Championship
1) Scott Piercy (1): Up until last week, Piercy had struggled since his win at the Barbasol Championship. However, Piercy found his game at the BMW Championship and finished in solo 3rd. Piercy shared 15th at East Lake GC in 2012.
2) Brooks Koepka (8): I can’t actually use Koepka this week, but since there are only three golfers in Tier B, he would be one of my top-2 choices. I have used up Louis Oosthuizen as well so I will be taking a big fat 0 for my second choice in Tier B.
1) Daniel Berger (1): It seems like those that play well in the playoff events, continue to carry it over from week to week. Berger, the possible rookie of the year, finished 2nd at last week’s BMW Championship. Prior to the BMW Championship, Berger tied for 12th at the Deutsche Bank Championship.
2) Kevin Na (3): Na has not fared well in three career trips to the TOUR Championship, but his game seems to be trending in the right direction. Na has top-20 finishes in three of his past five events, including a share of 10th at last week’s BMW Championship
Other Golfers Considered:
Jason Day (Tier A): Like last week, Day would be my top ranked golfer this week. However, I am trying to catch the leader so I am going to leave him off my team once again. The strategy did not work last week and with two top-10s in four career trips to East Lake GC, I am sure it will backfire again.
Louis Oosthuizen (Tier B): As I mentioned above, I cannot use Louis Oosthuizen this week, but he would be my third choice in the Tier.
Kevin Kisner (Tier C): After top-20 finishes in each of the season’s first two playoff events, Kisner tied for 41st at last week’s BMW Championship. Kisner, who sits 18th on the FedEx Cup points list, will be making his first career trip to the TOUR Championship.