After an exciting Masters that saw 21 year old Jordan Spieth take home his first Green Jacket, the PGA Tour will make its way to Harbour Town Golf Links at Hilton Head Island. Spieth, who is now ranked 2nd, headlines a field that includes eight of the top-25 golfers in the World. Harbour Town is one of the shortest courses on the PGA Tour so accuracy and putting will be keys to victory. Matt Kuchar, who won last year’s RBC Heritage by one stroke over Luke Donald, will return to defend his title.
My picks for this week:
1) Luke Donald (0) – I really did not want to take Luke Donald as he has been pretty awful as of late. His best finish his last five events was a tie for 7th at the Honda Classic. However, it is impossible to ignore his history at Harbour Town. In his last six appearances, Donald has two top-3’s and three runner-ups.
2) Zach Johnson (0) – Johnson comes to Harbour Town playing his best golf of the year. Johnson has not finished worse than 20th in any of his last three starts. Last week at the Masters, Johnson shot a final round 68 and tied for 9th. Johnson finished solo 2nd at Harbour Town in 2012.
1) Louis Oosthuizen (2) – Oosthuizen had another nice week at Augusta. Sweet Lou never shot over par and ended up sharing 19th with Henrik Stenson. Despite two missed cuts, Oosthuizen has top-20’s in three of his five 2015 starts. This will be Louis’ first trip to Harbour Town.
2) Ernie Els (0) – Els has top-25’s in two of his past three starts. Last week at The Masters, Ernie was in the fourth to last group on Saturday, but faded over the weekend and tied for 22nd. It has been awhile, but Ernie had success at Harbour Town. In 15 career appearances, Big Ern has seven top-10’s.
1) Morgan Hoffman (0) – Hoffman has top-20 finishes in two of his past four starts. Last week at Augusta, Hoffman tied for 28th. Hoffman has finished inside the top-10 in two of his last three trips to Harbour Town.
2) Kevin Streelman (0) – Streelman has cashed a paycheck four weeks in a row, including last week at The Masters. Streelman tied for 12th at Augusta and also won the Par-3 contest on Wednesday. Streelman has not missed the cut in his last four trips to Harbour Town. His best finish came in 2013 when he shared 3rd with Luke Donald.
Other Golfers Considered:
Jordan Spieth (Tier A): After two wins and two runner-ups in his past four starts, it was hard to leave Spieth off my team. However, I can only use him five more times this season and I could see a bit of a letdown after winning the Masters.
Jason Kokrak (Tier B): Kokrak does not fit the mold of who does well at Harbour town, but he did tie for 12th last year. Kokrak is also playing some solid golf as he has top-11 finishes in three of his past four starts.
Daniel Berger (Tier C): I initially had Kevin Na in my picks, but he withdrew on Monday. I like the way Berger has been playing as of late. Despite a pair of missed cuts, Berger has top-25’s in four of his past six starts.