TPC San Antonio will host the Valero Texas Open for the sixth consecutive year. Jordan Spieth and Jim Furyk lead the field that includes seven of the top-20 players in the world. Last year, Steven Bowditch took home the championship at eight under par. Will Mackenzie and Daniel Summerhays finished one shot back.
My picks for this week:
1) Jim Furyk (1) - Furyk is coming off his worst start of the year where he tied for 40th at the Valspar Championship. However, prior to that, Furyk had not finished outside the top-14 in 2015. In his last two starts at TPC San Antonio, Furyk has not finished worse than 6th. Last year, Furyk tied for 3rd in this event.
2) Jordan Spieth (1) – Spieth is coming off his first PGA Tour victory since the John Deere Classic in 2013. Spieth has also finished inside the top-17 in five of his first six starts in 2015. The Texas native finished in a tie for 10th last year at the Valero.
1) Daniel Summerhays (0) – Summerhays has top-30 finishes in three of his last four starts. Two weeks ago at the Valspar Championship, Summerhays finished in a tie for 10th. In his last two starts at TPC San Antonio, Summerhays finished T7 in 2013 and T2 last year.
2) Matt Jones (0) – Jones has top-15 finishes in each of his last three starts. Last week at the Arnold Palmer, Jones finished solo 3rd. In five career trips to TPC San Antonio, Jones has made the cut four times. In his last appearance, Jones tied for 32nd.
1) Kevin Na (2) – Na has finished inside the top-10 in each of last three starts. Last week at the Arnold Palmer, Na tied for 6th. After not making it to the weekend in any of his first three starts at the Valero Texas Open, Na tied for 11th last year.
2) Daniel Berger (0) – Berger continues to play some of the best golf on the PGA Tour. In four of his last six events, Berger has finished inside the top-15. Last week at the Arnold Palmer, Berger tied for 13th. Berger will be making his first start at TPC San Antonio.
Other Golfers Considered:
Matt Kuchar (Tier A): Kuchar has top-25 finishes in each of his last three trips to the Valero Texas Open. Kuchar tied for 33rd in his last start the Valspar Championship.
Jason Kokrak (Tier B): In his last two starts, Kokrak tied for 7th at the Valspar Championship and tied for 6th last week at the Arnold Palmer Invitational. Kokrak has one top-15 in three career trips to the Valero Texas Open.
Branden Grace (Tier C): Grace has three wins in his last eight worldwide starts. Grace tied for 79th in the Valero last year.