written by: Jerod Kieler
The first WGC of the 2015 calendar year returns to the upgraded TPC Blue Monster. Last year’s event ranked as the toughest course on the PGA Tour outside of the majors. The 74 man field will include 55 of the top 60 players in the world. Patrick Reed looks to defend his title as he led wire to wire and finished one shot better than Bubba Watson and Jamie Donaldson in last year’s installment.
On to my picks for this week:
1) Bubba Watson (1) – Bubba comes to the Blue Monster playing as well as anyone. The #2 ranked player in the world has top-14 or better finishes in each of his last three starts. Watson has two runner-up finishes in his last three trips to Doral.
2) Jordan Spieth (0) – I just have a good feeling about Spieth this week. While he has no history of success at the Blue Monster, he has just been playing so well as of late. Dating back to last year, he has five top-7 finishes in his last six starts.
1) Brooks Koepka (3) – I really did not want to use Koepka for the 4th time this year, but Tier B only included six total golfers. The 2015 Phoenix Open Champion is clearly one of the top-2 golfers in this grouping.
2) Jamie Donaldson (1) – Donaldson’s best finish on the PGA Tour came last year at the Cadillac. Donaldson fired his final three rounds under par and shared second with Bubba Watson. Last week at PGA National, Donaldson finished solo 6th.
1) Paul Casey (0) – It is great to see Paul Casey playing well again. In his last two starts, Casey tied for 2nd at the Northern Trust Open and then tied for 3rd this past week at the Honda Classic. In his last trip to the Blue Monster, Casey tied for 51st in 2012.
2) Brenden Grace (0) – I am banking on Grace brining his “A” game to the states after his recent domination of the African and European Tours. In his past six worldwide events, Grace has won an incredible three times.
Other Golfers Considered:
Rory McIlroy (Tier A): It’s always tough to leave Rory off your team. However, he is coming off a missed cut last week and I want to use him when I know he is playing his best golf.
Louis Oosthuizen (Tier B): I took Louis last week, but he ended up withdrawing due to a bad back. If you do take him, make sure to check later in the week to see if he actually tees it up.
Joost Luiten (Tier C): Making his first 2015 start on the PGA Tour, Luiten shared 11th last week at the Honda Classic. Joost finished in a tie for 13th last year at the Blue Monster.